Western Los Angeles County Council
4” x 4”
The Silver Knapsack Trail is recommended for the group with little or no backpacking experience who would like to try it on their own.
Trip must start and end at Camp Whitsett. Minimum time on trail - 6 days and 5 nights, backpacking distance must be a minimum distance of 43 to 50 miles (25 hrs.), Days and nights spent at Camp Whitsettare not counted toward trip days.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable General Requirements.
2. Outing leader or another 21 year old adult going on trip must have completed the Basic Backpack Awareness Course (Blue Card).
3. An approved Conservation project of three (3) hours per participant is required. Participants must show evidence of completion. Project is not required to be done on the trip.
4. Make advanced reservations at the WLACC Council Service Center Camping Department. Pay fees (if required) for Camp Whitsett. Failure to do so can disqualify the participants from the award.
5. Recommended age is 11years old or older. Prior to departure, each Scout must demonstrate the following scout skills or have earned the following Merit Badges. Camping, Cooking First Aid and Swimming. Adult and Venturers must have the equivalent knowledge. Outing leader to verify compliance.
6. An itinerary must be reviewed prior to starting the trip by your Council High Adventure Team and one must be filed with the Camp Director at Camp Whitsett upon arrival.
7. Trip must start and end at Camp Whitsett. Minimum time on trail - 6 days and 5 nights, backpacking distance must be a minimum distance of 43 to 50 miles (25 hrs.), Days and nights spent at Camp Whitsettare not counted toward trip days.
8. Each participant, including adults, must complete a minimum of three (3) conditioning overnight backpacking trips, including one at, or near, the altitude of the proposed trip, within three months prior to departing on the trip.
9. These SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS shall supersede the General Requirements if there is an area of conflict.
10. Being that this trip is of an extended nature, it is recommended that at least one leader has completed: Wilderness and Remote First Aid.