Western Los Angeles County Council
4” x 4”
Plan a trip of 33 or more backpacking hours - Anywhere in the mountains, deserts, coast or any combination of these. Minimum time on trail - 7 days and 6 nights.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable General Requirements.
2. Outing leader or another 21 year old adult going on trip must have completed the Basic Backpack Awareness Course.
3. An approved Conservation Project of six (6) hours per participant is required. Participants must show evidence of completion.
4. Plan a trip of 33 or more backpacking hours - Anywhere in the mountains, deserts, coast or any combination of these. Minimum time on trail - 7 days and 6 nights.
5. Recommended age is 12 years old or older. Each scout participant must demonstrate the following scout skills or have earned the following Merit Badges: Camping, Cooking, First Aid and Swimming. Adults and Venturers must have the equivalent knowledge. Outing leader to certify compliance.
6. An itinerary must be reviewed prior to starting the trip by the Council High Adventure Team and one must be filed with the Camp Director at Camp Whitsettor Wolverton upon arrival if starting trip from either camp or with the Ranger at the trail head if possible.
7. The Award may be earned during the winter months (Dec. through Apr.) by units. To have the unit qualify for this award during these winter months, one adult accompanying the group on the trip must have successfully completed the Council High Adventure Team Winter Backpack Awareness Course.
8. Each participant, including adults, must complete a minimum of three (3) conditioning overnight backpacking trips, including one at or near the altitude of the proposed trip, within three months prior to departing on the trip. Each participant including adults, must have completed one or more previous long term trip(s) of 6 days and 5 nights and a minimum of 25 hours/50 miles or more.
9. These SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS shall supersede the General Requirements if there is an area of conflict.