John Muir Award
Greater Los Angeles
6'' x 2''; segments @ 3'' x 3/4''
Backpack 50 mile segments of the John Muir Trail.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
JOHN MUIR AWARD
The following specific requirements apply for earning the primary patch and each of the Segments.
1. Take a backpack on the John Muir Trail, to include that section specified on the Segment sought and to begin and end at the locations indicated.
2. Seven days, six nights minimum duration; one layover day in addition is recommended..
3. Earn Backpack distances are in the range of 50 miles per Segment.
4. Participants Award recipient to have earned two weekend or equivalent awards within 90 days prior to trek.
5. At Participating Scouts must be 12 or older; it is recommended that they be 13 or older.
6. Secure LAAC-HAT approval of a High Adventure Application at least one month prior to departure. A copy of the Trail Profile/Trail Schedule, the menu, and all other relevant planning material must accompany it.
7. Each participant must have had a medical examination using BSA Annual Health and Medical Record within a year prior to trek. It is strongly recommended that each be current as to a tetanus shot.
8. One participating adult must have completed BSA-conducted Adult Leaders Backpack Training.
Routes may be hiked in either direction. Please refer to LAAC-HAT Hike Aid 15, "Long-Term Trekking", for additional information