Hiker of Character
Western Los Angeles County Council
3” x 4”
Leo Ferns Jr. was instrumental and influential in starting the High Adventure Team in the Western Los Angeles County Council and has stayed active in Scouting and High Adventure for over 40 years. He has taken countless Scouts backpacking and taught them to appreciate and protect nature. This award is to honor him.
The purpose of the Leo Ferns Jr. Hiker of Character Award is to have Scouts 1) Learn an appreciation of nature through conservation. 2) Learn and use Spiritual guidance in their lives and 3) Meet the challenge of a long term High Adventure trip and then an additional challenge of their choosing within the requirements.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable General Requirements.
2. Complete two long-term High Adventure trips of at least six days/five nights. These trips may be Backpacking trips, Canoe trips or Cycling trips.
3. Complete at least four hours of trail building or maintenance, OR participate at least four hours in a conservation project. Conservation projects may be of an urban nature (such as setting up a recycling program at an office, school classroom or church) or the project may be of a wilderness nature (such as erosion control, tree planting, etc.).
4. Service hours for requirement 3 may not be used for any Rank Advancement or for any other Award.
5. Lead a Scout’s Own Service on a long term trip with your Patrol or Crew.
6. Alternative to requirement 3 for High Adventure trained adult leaders:
----Serve as an active member on the High Adventure Team for at least three
years, serving as a Staff Member, Course Instructor or Course Director or
any combination during a three year period.
----This Award and the completion of any of the above requirements are retroactive for Council High Adventure Staff, Trainers, Course Instructors and Course Directors retroactive to their date of completion of Basic Backpacking.