High Sierra Trail Award
Greater Los Angeles
6'' x 2''; segments @ 3'' x 2''
Backpack segments of the West - East High Sierra Trail between Sequoia National Park and Mt. Whitney.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
HIGH SIERRA TRAIL
1. Award recipient to have earned two weekend or equivalent awards within 90 days prior to trek.
2. Participating Scouts must be 12 or older; it is recommended that they be 13 or older.
3. Secure LAAC-HAT approval of a High Adventure Application at least one month prior to departure. A copy of the Trail Profile / Trail Schedule, the menu, and all other relevant planning material must accompany it.
4. Each participant must have had a medical examination using BSA Annual Health and Medical Record within a year prior to trek. It is strongly recommended that each be current as to a tetanus shot.
5. One participating adult must have completed BSA-conducted Adult Leaders Backpack Training.
GIANT FOREST TO MINERAL KING
1. Trailheads are at either Crescent Meadow or Wolverton and end at Mineral King.
2. Six days, five nights minimum duration; one layover day in addition is recommended.
3. Backpack time of 25 or more scheduled hours (usual route is 44 miles, with 7,500 foot elevation gain - 30 scheduled hours)
MINERAL KING TO MT. WHITNEY
1. Trailheads are at Mineral King and end at Whitney Portal, with day hike to Mt. Whitney summit.
2. Seven days, six nights minimum duration; one layover day in addition is recommended.
3. Backpack time of 25 or more scheduled hours (usual route is 52 miles, with 12,000 foot elevation gain - 38 hours)