Golden Bighorn Trek Award
Greater Los Angeles
3'' x 3''
Complete 5+ day backpack on the Santa Ana River Trail around Barton Flats, then back through the San Gorgonio Wildernes to Angles Oaks.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Take a backpack on the Santa Ana River Trail around Barton Flats, then back through the San Gorgonio Wilderness to Angeles Oaks.
2. Five days, four nights minimum duration; one layover day in addition is recommended
3. Backpacking distance is 39 or 52 miles, with 7000 feet of elevation gain.
4. Award recipient to have earned two weekend or equivalent awards within 90 days prior to trek.
5. Participating Scouts must be 12 or older; it is recommended that they be 13 or older.
6. Secure LAAC-HAT approval of a High Adventure Application at least one month prior to departure. A copy of the Trail Profile/Trail Schedule, the menu, and all other relevant planning materials must accompany it.
7. Each participant must have had a medical examination using BSA Annual Health and Medical Record within a year prior to trek. It is strongly recommended that each be current as to a tetanus shot.
8. One participating adult must have completed BSA-conducted Adult Leaders Backpack Training.
9. One food drop is permitted, at the time and place of your choice.