Dinkey Loops Trail
Verdugo Hills Council
4” x 4”
Backpack the Dinkey Lakes Loop over the course of 5+ days in the Western Sierras. Trailhead location is near Shaver Lake, east of Fresno/Clovis.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Comply with the Area 4 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS.
2. At least one of the adults participating in the outing must have completed the Basic Backpack Awareness Course.
3. Each person must complete two 5-mile training hikes and one 7-hour weekend hike prior to hiking the Dinkey Lakes Loop.
4. It is recommended that units spend the first night (prior to leaving on the trail) at Camp Silver Fir to acclimatize and that they check in with the Campmaster at Silver Fir prior to leaving on the trail. Units must make advanced reservations for Camp Silver Fir through the Verdugo Hills Council.
5. Units must obtain wilderness and fire permits from the Forest Service.
6. Participants must spend a minimum of five (5) nights on the trail.
7. Each participant must climb Dogtooth Peak and one of the Three Sisters.
8. Each participant must complete a minimum of 25 hiking hours during the trek.
9. Participants must complete a 2-hour conservation project cleared by the local Ranger or the Silver Fir Campmaster while on the trail or in Camp Silver Fir.
10. It is recommended that units check in and make a brief report to the Silver Fir Campmaster upon returning from the trail.
11. Units must pack out all trash and properly dispose of any trash generated at Camp Silver Fir.
12. While on the trip/trail adhere to the seven (7) principles of the Leave No Trace outdoor ethics:
a. Plan Ahead and Prepare
b. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
c. Dispose of waste properly
d. Leave What You Find
e. Minimize Campfire Impacts
f. Respect Wildlife
g. Be Considerate of Other Visitors