Western Los Angeles County Council
2” x 2”
Complete twelve (12) hours cycling time, or 48 miles round trip, whichever comes first, with an overnight campout. Cycle trip (or time) may be earned anywhere.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable General Requirements.
2. May be earned by Girl Scouts 11 years or older.
3. Twelve (12) hours cycling time, or 48 miles round trip, whichever comes first, with an overnight campout. Cycle trip (or time) may be earned anywhere.
4. Participant must:
a. Have earned two (2) Cycling Training Awards.
b. Do a Conservation Project of at least one (1) hour. Can be done on tour, before or after tour.
c. Have read their State Vehicle Code booklet and the Orange County Council Bike Aid brochure.
d. Scouts should be working on, or have earned, the Cycling Merit Badge.
5. Contact an Approval Person from your Council's H.A.T. approval roster prior to doing the trip. Submit the following to the High Adventure Team Person if requested:
a. Evidence of each participant having earned two (2) Cycling Training Awards.
b. Itinerary - with route, alternate route, and rest stops.
c. Participant Roster including names, addresses and phone numbers.
d. Planned menus.
e. Personal and group equipment lists.
f. Certification of safe bikes.
6. Minimum food and equipment will be carried on the bicycle (Max. limit 20 lbs.). Equipment should include such items as jacket, rain gear, personal first aid kit, water bottle, long pants and tools. Sleeping gear and other equipment along with food should be carried in a motor vehicle.
7. Group shall have a motor vehicle for emergency with them at all times.
8. Minimum of two registered adults with each touring group, one of which shall be on a bicycle with Tour Group
9. Bicycles must be currently licensed and pass inspection and be certified as safe (brakes, reflectors, tires, etc.) by a qualified cycling counselor or bike shop.
10. Group Size - keep within maximum recommended for the area you plan to camp in.
11. Each participant can earn as many of these awards as they want as long as these requirements are met each time.
12. These SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS shall supersede the General Requirements if there is an area of conflict.