BLM Weekend Hike
Western Los Angeles County Council
2” x 2”
Take a backpacking trip for a minimum of seven (7) hours (based on two miles an hour and one hour for every 1000 feet gained) to a primitive camp on BLM land. Do not use roads if possible.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable General Requirements.
2. Registered Girl Scouts 11 years and older may earn this award.
3. Must have earned two (2) Training Hike Awards.
4. Take a backpacking trip for a minimum of seven (7) hours (based on two miles an hour and one hour for every 1000 feet gained) to a primitive camp on BLM land. Do not use roads if possible.
5. Submit the following to an Approval Person from your Council's High Adventure Team prior to going on the outing:
a. Roster and itinerary *
b. Pack list, menu and food list, cooking gear list, including group gear.
NOTE: No. 5b need not be submitted if an adult member of your group has completed a Basic Backpack Awareness Course, and has so indicated on the Tour Permit.
6. Do a conservation project, two hours per participant. Check with Ranger for an approved project. Project can be done before or after trip, but prior to issuing of awards.
7. Check in with Ranger and leave a copy of your roster and itinerary if possible.
8. Check out with Ranger at end of trip if possible.
9. Keep adequate notes and maps to use in preparing trip report for your unit records.
10. Upon completion of trip, and within a ten (10) day period, see your District High Adventure Team approval person for award approval.
11. These SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS shall supersede the General Requirements of there is an area of conflict.
* Road - Street, Avenue, Lane, Blvd, and Highways that are usually paved. Motor Way - BLM "Roads" are never paved.