Verdugo Hills Council
3” X 3”
This award is for an extended weekend Backpacking trip of at least 3 days and 2 nights. There is no limitation on where it can be earned.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Comply with the Area 4 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS.
2. At least one of the adults participating in the outing must have completed the Basic Backpack Awareness Course.
3. Each person must complete two 5-mile training hikes and one 7-hour weekend hike within four months prior to hiking the qualifying hike.
4. Participants must spend a minimum of 3 days and 2 nights on the trail.
5. Each participant must complete a minimum of 12 (twelve) hiking hours.
6. All food and equipment must be backpacked in (no pack animals or food drops allowed) Clean up and pack out all trash. A Scout always leaves campsites and trails better and cleaner then he found them.
7. Each participant must complete a 1-hour conservation project cleared with the local ranger before starting on the trail.
8. While on the trip/trail adhere to the seven (7) principles of the Leave No Trace outdoor ethics:
a. Plan Ahead and Prepare
b. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
c. Dispose of waste properly
d. Leave What You Find
e. Minimize Campfire Impacts
f. Respect Wildlife
g. Be Considerate of Other Visitors