50 Miles Afoot or Afloat
3" x 4"
The 50-Miler Award is presented to each qualifying individual for satisfactory participation in an approved trip. In order to qualify for the award the group of which the individual is a member must fulfill all of the following requirements.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Make complete and satisfactory plans for the trip.
2. Cover a wilderness trail, canoe or boat route of not less than 50 consecutive miles taking at least five (5) consecutive days and nights to cover the trail or route.
4. During the time on the trail or waterway, each person must complete at least ten (10) hours of group work to improve the trail, springs, campsites, portages or wilderness area. Note that in public lands, authority must be obtained in advance for all work other than clean-up. The High Adventure Team Trail Boss Chairman can assist with making the necessary contacts and arrangements.
5. If it is not possible to complete ten (10) hours of work on the trail or waterway, a similar project may be completed in the unit's home area. Pack animals may only be used with the permission of the High Adventure Team.
6. For river trips, a power boat may be used only as a safety boat, and in fact is so recommended, but it shall be used for safety only. Any person who rides in, whose food or equipment is carried by, or whose craft is towed by a power boat is immediately disqualified and shall not receive this award.
7. Comply with the GENERAL REQUIREMENTS.
NOTE: The National Council HAS NOT APPROVED the use of "scheduled backpack time" and it may not be used for this award.