Trans Sierra Trail
Western Los Angeles County Council
4” x 5½“
Backpack in the Sierra Nevada mountains traveling transversing them from west to east, or east to west.
This award was established to get Units away from the more popular areas and trails by having them use the many trans-Sierra Trails.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet and comply with all General Requirements.
2. Plan a trip across the Sierra's from East to West or West to East using existing trails wherever possible.
3. Minimum time on trail: 10 days and 9 nights and 50 hours.
4. A minimum of 75% of the groups participants must have completed a previous long term trip (minimum 6 days and 5 nights and a minimum of 25 hours).
5. Itinerary and profile for trip must be reviewed and approved by H.A.T. a minimum of 2 weeks in advance of proposed trip.
6. Recommended age is 12 years old or older. Each Scout participant must demonstrate the following scout skills or have earned the following Merit Badges. Camping, Cooking, Hiking, First Aid and Swimming. Adult and Venturers must have the equivalent knowledge. Outing leader to verify compliance
7. At least one adult 21 years or older, has satisfactorily completed the Council Basic Backpack Awareness Course.
8. Minimum of 3 preparation hikes within the last 4 months prior to trip for each participant at approximate elevation of long term trip.
9. An approved conservation project of six (6) hours per participant is required. Show evidence of completion.
10. These SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS shall supersede the General Requirements of there is an area of conflict.
NOTE: The Award consists of a Patch and 2 segments. One segment for East to West and one segment for West to East.
This Award was suggested by T-534 of Chatsworth, CA.