Red Rock Canyon -Mojave Desert Award
Western Los Angeles County Council
4” x 3”
Camp at least one night in Red Rock Canyon State Park or somewhere else in the Mojave Desert.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Comply with the High Adventure Award General Requirements.
2. This award may be earned by registered Boy Scouts, Venturers, Girl Scouts and registered leaders.
3. Know symptoms and first aid for the Boy Scout Tenderfoot, Second Class & First Class rank requirements with special attention to hypothermia, hyperthermia, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, dehydration, and snake bites. This area is home to the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake and the Mojave Green Rattlesnake which is known to be aggressive.
4. Camp at least one night in Red Rock Canyon State Park or somewhere else in the Mojave Desert.
5. Hike at least three miles on an established trail. Take at least three pictures at different places along the trail. One of the pictures should include all the participants on the hike. (Exception only for the photographer)
6. Visit one of the features in the Red Rock Canyon/ Mojave Desert area and write a one page report about it. Features may be geologic, or other natural feature or manmade like the Burro Schmidt Tunnel, Bickel Camp or the Dutch Cleanser Mine. These are examples. Ask your approval counselor about others that you are considering.
5. Perform a one hour service or conservation project to aid the desert. The project may be under the direction of the Park Ranger, the BLM, or other organization approved by the HAT approval person. The project may be a trash pick up type project but it is to be a concentrated effort not just the casual picking up of trash while hiking etc.
6. The Specific Requirements shall supersede the General Requirements if there is an area of conflict.