Ventura County Council
3” x 4”
The Basic patch can be earned by hiking from Camp Three Fallsvia Sheep Camp, Sawmill Mt. to Condor Observation Point at Mt. Pinos and return the same way back to camp. An overnight camp is required, and Sheep Camp is recommended. At Mt. Pinosa group picture must be taken.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. This Trek will start and end at Camp Three Falls, or when camp is closed, at the entrance to camp. Note: when camp is closed there will be no facilities or water.
2. The Basic patch can be earned by hiking from Camp Three Fallsvia Sheep Camp, Sawmill Mt. to Condor Observation Point at Mt. Pinos and return the same way back to camp. An overnight camp is required, and Sheep Camp is recommended. At Mt. Pinosa group picture must be taken.
3. The basic Mt. Pinospatch may be earned at any time and does not require prior reservations - see "Requirements for Segments".
4 Each participant will have earned 2 Training Hike Awards and 1 weekend hike award before attempting this climb/hike.
5. Each participant must carry his pack containing his personal gear and his share of group equipment and food.
6. Prepare an itinerary of your hike plans, using topo and forest service maps and prepare a hike profile.
7. Secure a Local Tour Permit and a Los Padres fire permit (if needed) before going on this climb/hike and submit these together with a roster and itinerary to the Hikemaster in Camp Three Falls.
8. Each group must have at least TWO (2) registered Adult Scouters, one must be 21 years or older, and 1 qualified First Aider with current First Aid Card.
9. If the Camp Three Falls Segment is not elected, each participant must do one (1) hour conservation on the trail or at the trail camps.
A. Camp Three Falls.
1. Comply with basic patch requirements except item 3.
2. This segment is only available on scheduled weekends. Prior reservations must be made through Gary Lee (661) 245-1206.
3. Camp three Falls segment can be earned with an additional night at Camp and doing one (1) hour conservation/trail work on the "Pinnacles Trail".
4. Local Tour Permit, etc., as described under item 7 in basic requirements will be processed in camp by the hikemaster.
B. MountAbel .
1. Each participant must have earned the Mt. Pinos basic patch before attempting this hike/climb.
2. Basic patch and Mt. Ablesegment MAY NOT be earned on the same hike/weekend.
3. Comply with all the basic patch specific requirements except in item #2, after Sheep Camp: at the trail junction above Sheep Camp, climb Mt. Able and take a group picture. NOTE: This is a strenuous hike!