Los Padres Council
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Access from Freeway 101: From South: Take San Marcos Pass off-ramp to Highway 154, go past Cachuma Lake, turn right after bridge onto Armour Ranch Road, right onto Base Line, right onto Happy Canyon Road, and straight down Sunset Valley Road to the Manzana River. From North: Cross 101 northbound lane onto Highway 154. At Los Olivos turn left onto Figueroa Mountain Road. At Cachuma Saddle turn left onto Sunset Valley Road to the Manzana River. Park 1/2 mile west of Nira above the Manzana River or at the road end at Nira.
2. This 4 to 6 day trip should be taken during the months of February, March, April or May. From Manzana Narrowstake an 8 mile round day-trip via Big Cone Spruce Camp to 6,188 ft. McKinley Mountain high above the Santa Ynez Valley.
3. Camps en route: Nira (Drive-in camp), Coldwater, Manzana Schoolhouse, Mormon, Abel, Cliff Sycamore, South Fork (not a desirable camp), Lonnie Davies, White Ledge, Happy Hunting Ground, Manzana Narrows, Manzana, Fish Creek, Nira.
4. In 1989 no Forest Service permits were required.
5. Topos: Bald Mt., Figueroa Mt., San Rafael Mt., Zaca Lake, Hurricane Deck.
6. Prepare a brief description of your experience including condition of trail, camps, water, etc.
7. Comply with the General Requirements.