Western Los Angeles County Council
This award is for encouraging Scouts to become aware of Nature's unique events in Southern California.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable Area 4 General Requirements.
2. Obtain an approved Local Tour Permit from the Council Office.
3. Attend the Grunion Program presented by Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro, 3720 Stephen White Drive. Phone (310) 548-7562.
4. Write a report describing:
a. How and why the moon is essential to the Grunion.
b. The Grunion Run at the beach including a drawing of the Grunion.
c. The different activities at the Aquarium.
5. After doing items 1-4 see your H.A.T. Approval Person for award approval.
6. This award can be earned by Cub Scouts, Webelos, Boy Scouts, Venturers, and Girl Scouts.
1. Programs are held 2-4 days after a new or full moon during the months of March through July. Call museum for exact dates each year.
2. Museum opens for viewing at 8 PM.
3. A special program on Grunion including films and a lecture is held in the auditorium at 9 PM and 10 PM. Grunion eggs are hatched on the patio. The group is then led to the beach to observe a supervised Grunion run. The runs usually occur between 10:30 PM to 12:30 AM.
4. There is no charge for the parking lot after 6:00 pm. Cost for the Aquarium is $2.00 for adults and $1.00 for seniors and children. The Aquarium would appreciate a donation of aluminum cans.
5. There is no food service at or near the beach.
6. The months of April and May are closed season for Grunion. During that time they may not be touched or captured.
7. The months of March, June and July are open season. Anyone 16 years of age or older must have a valid fishing license to touch or capture the Grunion.
Warm clothing that can (and will) get wet, flashlight, blanket to sit on on the beach, food and hot drinks, and a bath towel.
NOTE: Although this Award is based solely upon the museum's program, they are not involved in the administration of the award. PLEASE DO NOT ask the museum questions other than about Grunion run dates and the Grunion themselves. This award was developed by Marilyn Marrs. If you have additional questions, please call Marilyn at (818) 896-1776.