Flashing Paddles Award
Verdugo Hills Council
2” X 2”
Complete four (4) or more water based outings in a 12 month period. One of the required outings shall be a long term outing of 5 or more nights.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Comply with the Area 4 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS.
2. Complete four (4) or more water based outings in a 12 month period. One of the required outings shall be a long term outing of 5 or more nights.
3. At least one of the adults participating on the long-term outing must have completed the HAT Outdoor Leader Awareness Course and water trek leader awareness Course.
4. Units must obtain fire permits and permits from local agencies when needed..
5. All outings shall include at least one night camping for a minimum total of nine 8 nights. Meals on at least 2 of the outings shall be patrol style.
6. At least 100 miles shall be accumulated on the outings. All mileage shall be earned in either kayaks or canoes. Reasonable portage or in stream towing mileage necessary to complete any trip shall count. Day trips to build mileage or as part of a training program for the outings are acceptable.
7. A route map for the long term outing shall be a part of the final trip report to the HAT Team.
8. Other High Adventure Awards can be completed as part of or all of each individual outing. This award is a long term activity available to Scouters, Scouts and Senior Girl Scouts.
9. For Boy Scouts the following are required in addition: Swimming, Canoeing, First Aid and Camping merit badges.
10. For Ventures the following are required in addition: Do the Ranger Award First Aid, Cooking, and Land Navigation core requirements and the Lifesaver elective (must do item 1a or 1c).