Cross Country Backpack
Western Los Angeles County Council
4” x 4”
Plan a trip of 25 or more backpacking hours - Anywhere in the mountains, deserts, coast or any combination of these. Minimum time on trail - 6 days and 5 nights. A minimum of 12 backpacking hours must be spent off trail.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable General Requirements.
2. Outing leader or another 21 year old adult going on trip must have completed the Basic Backpack Awareness Course.
3. An approved Conservation Project of six (6) hours per participant is required. Participants must show evidence of completion.
4. Plan a trip of 25 or more backpacking hours - Anywhere in the mountains, deserts, coast or any combination of these. Minimum time on trail - 6 days and 5 nights.
5. Recommended age is 12 years old or older. Each scout participant must demonstrate the following scout skills or have earned the following Merit Badges: Camping, Cooking, First Aid and Swimming. Adults and Venturers must have the equivalent knowledge. Outing leader to certify compliance.
6. An itinerary must be reviewed prior to starting the trip by the Council High Adventure Team and it should also be filed with the Ranger at the trail head upon arrival if possible.
7. The Award may be earned during the winter months (Dec. through Apr.) by units. To have the unit qualify for this award during these winter months, one adult accompanying the group on the trip must have successfully completed the Council High Adventure Team Winter Backpack Awareness Course.
8. At least 12 of these backpack hours shall be cross country where trails do not exist. (use standard allowance of one hour for each two miles hiked, plus one hour for each 1000 feet of elevation gained).
9. Each participant, including adults, must complete a minimum of three (3) conditioning overnight backpacking trips, including one at or near the altitude of the proposed trip, within three months prior to departing on the trip. At least one adult on trip has had previous experience on a Long Term Backpacking trip.
10. These SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS shall supersede the General Requirements if there is an area of conflict.
CROSS COUNTRY BACKPACK
4” x 4”