Western Los Angeles County Council
This award is for encouraging Scouts to understand our environment with special emphasis on whales.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable General Requirements. This award is available to Cadet and Senior Girl Scouts, and Brownies, as well as Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers.
2. Attend presentation of slides on DVD in Western Los Angeles County Council.
a. The DVD may be borrowed from the Council Office along with the text/notebook for the accompanying narrative and the lists of whale watcher cruises, museums and whale shows necessary to complete the award. For Orange County contact The Orange County HAT team.
b. In Girl Scout Council's that have approved this award, their Scouts will fulfill the same requirements as stated and shown below.
3. Participate in whale watching cruise or one of the following:
a. Visit a whale show at Sea World.
b. Or, visit a whale museum such as Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, San Pedro, or the Orange County Marine Museum, Dana Point.
4. Draw a picture of the whale being observed. Label parts. Pictures may be substituted for drawings.
5. Draw a map of the migratory route.
6. Give a report on whaling practices past and present including current laws on whale hunting.
7. Define the following vocabulary words to your unit leader or their representative.
1. Terrestrial 11. Migration 21. Pectoral Fin
2. Endangered Species 12. Sailing 22. Bearing
3. Spout 13. Baleen Plates 23. Baja
4. Dorsal Ridge 14. Dorsal Fin 24. Krill
5. Echo Locate 15. Pods 25. Caudal
6. Cetacea 16. Mammal 26. Snorkeling
7. Lob Tailing 17. Mysticeti 27. Lice
8. Spy Hopping 18. Footprints 28. Breeching
9. Piniped 19. Blow Hole 29. Blubber
10. Odontoceti 20. Laminate 3 0. Saddle Patch
7. The award application must be approved by a High Adventure Team approval person.
8. These SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS shall supersede the General Requirements if there is an area of conflict.