Tom Marrs Urban Award
Verdugo Hills Council
2” X 2”
This award has been developed in honor of Thomas Marrs, Eagle Scout and respected long-time leader and teacher of high adventure. He often noted: "High Adventure is any event or trip away from the regular meeting place!" and felt it was important for Scouts to develop an understanding of their local community and its history.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
1. Meet all applicable Area 4 High Adventure General Requirements.
2. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers may earn this award.
3. Registered Girl Scouts 11 years and older may earn this award.
4. Learn about the history of the Scout's present community, and write a short report summarizing its history. Community is defined as the area immediately surrounding the Scout's residence. For example, a Scout living in Glendale would learn about Glendale. A Scout from Riverside would learn about Riverside or a smaller segment thereof, etc..
5. Visit a museum, art gallery, aquarium, or the beach. Some examples include (but are not limited to) the Natural History Museum, Page Museum, William S. Hart Museum, Autry Museum of the American West, Ronald Regan Library and Museum, Nixon Presidential Library and Museum, Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar, (including automobiles), Cabrillo Beach for whale watching or the grunion run. (Whale watching will also count towards the "Whale Watching Patch," and the grunion run will also count towards the "Grunion Patch.").
6. On a map, locate early American trails, and visit at least one of them. Examples include (but are not limited to) the Stagecoach Trail, the EI Camino Real, Battle notes embedded in the sidewalk in San Fernando, the Mormon Trail, etc.
7. Visit two California Missions. Examples include (but are not limited to): San Luis Obispo Mission, San Fernando Rey de Espana, San Luis Rey, Santa Inez, etc.
8. Attend a live theatrical production at a university, or public or private theater in the community.
9. These Specific Requirements shall supersede the General Requirements if there is an area of conflict.