Snow Hiking Award
Greater Los Angeles
2'' x 2''
Backpack for 1 night or more in the snow.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
The outdoor awards that are sponsored by the LAAC are discussed in Hike Aid 6, “High Adventure Awards Program”. Unit leadership is to refer to it, and any supplemental Program Announcements, for the current and complete listing of the requirements for each award. Weekend awards that are required to earn certain other LAAC awards are National Park/National Monument, California State Park/County Park, and National Forest. Any award that requires a minimum of seven hours scheduled backpack time and two days may be substituted for these awards. Comply with the General Requirements,
1. May be taken in any location
2. Trail and campsite must be snow-covered.
3. Prepare at least two meals in camp.
4. Minimum of one night of camping.
5. Backpack distance of five or more miles.
6. No mileage offset for elevation gain.
7. Award recipient to have previously earned two training hike awards.
8. Recommended that participating Scouts be 13 or older.
9. One participating adult must have completed BSA-conducted Winter Camping and Travel training.