Silver Moccasins Trail Award
Greater Los Angeles
4'' x 4''
Backpack the 50 mile Silver Moccasins Trail in the San Gabriel Mountains.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
SILVER MOCCASINS TRAIL AWARD
1. Award recipient to have earned two weekend or equivalent awards within 90 days prior to trek.
2. Participating Scouts must be 12 or older; it is recommended that they be 13 or older.
3. Secure LAAC-HAT approval of a High Adventure Application at least one month prior to departure. A copy of the Trail Profile / Trail Schedule, the menu, and all other relevant planning material must accompany it.
4. Each participant must have had a medical examination using BSA Annual Health and Medical Record within a year prior to trek. It is strongly recommended that each be current as to a tetanus shot.
5. One participating adult must have completed Adult Leaders Backpack Training.
SILVER MOCCASINS TRAIL
1. Must be taken on the Silver Moccasins Trail, Chantry Flat to Vincent Gap, in the Angeles National Forest.
2. Six days, five nights minimum, of which one day is a mandatory layover day; one additional layover day is permitted
3. Backpack distance is 50 miles, with over 13,000 feet of elevation gain (40 scheduled hours).
4. Menu accompanying the High Adventure Application must note the day(s) of a food drop.
5. Maximum of two food drops are permitted, at the time and place of your choice
SEQUOIA/KINGS CANYON ROUTES
1. Must be taken on a specified route in the Silliman Crest or Sugarloaf Valley areas of the Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks.
2. Five days, four nights minimum duration; one layover day in addition is recommended.
3. Backpack time of 25 or more scheduled hours.
4. Food drops are not permitted on these routes.
Please refer to LAAC-HAT Hike Aid 15, "Long-Term Trekking", for additional information. The Silver Moccasins Medal is discussed In the Special Recognition section of this Hike Aid