River Rat Award
San Diego - Imperial
3½'' x 3''
Plan and carry out a canoe, or kayak or float trip on the lower Colorado River between Hoover Dam and Imperial Dam. This trip shall cover at least 20 miles in 2 or more consecutive days with the overnight camp at least 5 miles from the launching point and the take-out point.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
All unit leaders should obtain a current copy of San Diego Trek Aid #101 "Canoe The Colorado River". This pamphlet contains maps, routes and other valuable information.
1. Plan and carry out a canoe, or kayak or float trip on the lower Colorado River between Hoover Dam and Imperial Dam. This trip shall cover at least 20 miles in 2 or more consecutive days with the overnight camp at least 5 miles from the launching point and the take-out point.
2. All participants will have previously completed Swimming and Canoeing Merit Badges. Red Cross Fundamentals of Canoeing is an alternative to Canoeing Merit Badge and will serve to certify adults for the swimming requirement.
3. U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (life jackets) must be worn at all times while afloat.
4. Comply with the safety regulations and standards published by the U.S. Coast Guard, the Bureau of Reclamation, the National Park Service and the respective States of Arizona, California and Nevada.
5. It is recommended that a power boat be used as a Safety Boat; but it shall be used for safety only. Any person who rides in a power craft, whose craft is towed by a power craft, or whose equipment is carried by a power craft is immediately disqualified and shall not receive this award.
6. All food and equipment must be carried by the participants in their own craft.
7. Each person shall, as part of a group project while on the trip, complete 1 hour of conservation to improve the campsites or the general area.
8. Comply with the General Requirements and San Diego Trek Aid #101.