Grand Canyon Trails Medal
1½'' x 3''
Complete the Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim backpacking trek.
Map Link (where applicable)
External Reference (where applicable)
To earn this award, you must complete one requirement from (1) and (2):
1. Complete the Rim to Rim to Rim hike or complete any three separate hikes in this series.
2. Write your own 800-word report on your hikes covering geology, plant and animal life of the area hikes as you saw them, or read a book on the Grand Canyon, which has been approved in advance by your unit leader as appropriate to your age and interests. Be sure to name the book you read on the application form.
1. You must be a registered Boy Scout or Scouter.
2. All hikes must be supervised by a minimum of two adults (at least one must be over 21) with at least two adults for each 12 boys.
3. Awards will be denied for misconduct.
4. All of these trails are within the Coronado National Forest. Contact the appropriate office well in advance of your trip for information and details on hiking and/or camping on your trek.
United States Forest Service
Coronado National Forest
300 West Congress
Tucson, AZ. 85701
5. Hikes must be completed. Weather, trail closure, tired boys or leaders who cannot go on, equipment failure, etc., may make it wise to stop short of completing these hikes, but do not justify granting the awards.
6. Individual "Trail Logs" describing what you did and what you saw must be signed by the Trek Leader and submitted with your High Adventure application.
7. Only one Patch or Medal will be issued to each participant.
8. Wearing Awards. Trail award patches may be displayed on the jacket, pack, camping gear or worn as a temporary insignia on the right shirt pocket. Medals may be worn on the left breast pocket to the left of the Eagle Badge on the Scout Uniform. Use Cub Scout Den numerals on trail medals as "repeater" numbers for those earning trail medals more than once.